This blog is basically an excerpt from my personal journal. As I was spending time with the Lord this morning, I realized I am believing a lot of lies about who God is, specifically within the context of raising support for our ministry. I don't usually write about support raising, because, lets be honest, talking about money can be awkward and uncomfortable. But I believe it's important to be honest and transparent, especially when you're in a position of leadership, like ministry. I don't want to put on a facade and seem like I have it all together with support raising, when the reality is I struggle daily to trust God. So with that being said- these are the lies that I'm believing right now. And the truth that I am finding hope in. I hope this will encourage other support-based missionaries and ministers. And for those of you who support us, know we are so incredibly grateful for your generous, selfless giving. You make our ministry possible.
I was reading in John, and verse 12:37 struck me right in the heart...
“Even after Jesus had done all these miraculous signs in their presence, they still did not believe in him."
Father, that is me. That’s my struggle. You have provided SO MUCH already. SO much more than I can ask for or imagine, yet I struggle to believe that You will continue to provide. You've provided almost all of the financial support for our ministry, which is literally a miracle. We are so close to being 100% funded. Father, please forgive my unbelief. I pray that You would take the little belief that I do have and help me to multiply it. Please grow it inside me. Help me to water it with the Truth.
Here are the lies I’m believing, Lord.
1. You are not enough. I need MORE. More money, more recognition, more things, more time, more sleep, more everything.
2. You are not faithful. I can’t trust You to provide.
3. There is not enough money to go around for all of the missionaries, non-profits, ministries and churches.
4. This isn’t sustainable in the long term. We can’t possibly raise even more money than this in the future to support a family and kids.
5. We are getting the short end of the stick with our salary. We could... and "should" be making triple or quadruple in the business world.
6. I’m believing that people are selfish and that You can not change people’s hearts when it comes to money. Christians are not generous and theres nothing You can do about it.
Lord, help me speak the TRUTH. Let me hear it and believe it deep down in my heart of hearts.
1. You are MORE than ENOUGH. More money, things, time, sleep, clothes, love, etc… will not satisfy me. I will always want MORE. They are temporary lovers who don’t deliver on their promises.
2. You ALONE are Faithful. You are the ONLY One who will never fail me. You are King of Kings, Lord of Lords. Alpha and Omega, Beginning and the End. The author of life. The creator of all things. You fulfill all of Your promises.
3. & 4. You own EVERYTHING. It is all Yours and I am just a steward of it. Lord, help me be a faithful steward of what You’ve given me. There are no ends to Your provision, You supply every living creature with their needs. You are faithful and You will provide for John and I, plus all the other missionaries in the world. Plus, look at how many missionaries You already provide for on Cru staff alone! Their needs are being met in abundance and You have called us to the same mission as them. You are the same God, yesterday, today, & tomorrow. You won’t fail any of us. You will continue to provide for all of our needs, for the rest of our lives.
5. Ugh, the short end of the stick. Lord, this is the one I struggle with the most. Father, help me to see the eternal benefits that we are reaping. Help me to truly believe that this "sacrifice" is NOTHING compared to the glorious riches that are given to us in Heaven. Wealth and financial security are incomparable to a front row seat to You working miracles. LIVES are being transformed. People are going from death to life, experiencing joy and hope through Jesus. Most importantly, help me to know the truth that even if we were both making a million dollars, we would still be wanting more. The things of this world don’t satisfy, they always leave us wanting more.
6. Yes, people are selfish. We are all sinful and desperately in need of a Savior. Yes, Christians should be more generous than the average person. Yes, Satan does have a stronghold on Christian’s money, especially in America. BUT GOD, is able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine. And NOTHING is impossible with God. If the Lord can change my heart and make me a new person, He can and will change the heart’s of believers to be generous. Plus, we have over 100 people on our support team who are incredibly generous and they are living proof that God is Lord over all areas of our lives, even our finances.
Lord, help me to remember these Truths. I pray that You would write them into my heart. That whenever the lies whisper in my ears, I would be able to hear them immediately and speak truth to them. Lord, help me to pursue You relentlessly. I love You. Amen.
Would you please join us in praying for the Lord to provide $650 in monthly support for our ministry? We are praying specifically for 7 people to join us at $100 a month, so we can be fully funded and begin our work on campus. Thanks for praying with us!